Wednesday, February 18, 2009

The View From My Walk


The past couple of weeks we have been getting some much needed rain. I love the rain, because it means green grass on the hills and clean air. Unfortunately, we don't get much, if any, in the summer, which gets old when it's hot and dusty, but for the time that we do get it, all of the Valley is rejoicing! One of the great benefits of Valley rain is the view we are left with after a good storm. We are surrounded by the Sierra Nevada Mountains to the East and the Coastal Range on the West, but except for a good rain, most of the time you wouldn't even know it. That's a sad statement, but true. It's not one we as Fresnan's like to brag about, but something we have to live with. Like any city that sits in a valley with a lot of agriculture and people, the air isn't always the cleanest...then put that city in California...well, need I say more. But I digress! Here we are in the time of year when I like living in this valley and love the view, so I thought I'd share it with you today. I live just a short jaunt from Cal State, Fresno, and Diesel and I regularly walk or jog the Ag fields. Makes me feel a little like I'm back in Kentucky as a girl taking a walk in the country. The view, the day I took these pictures, was just breathtaking....and Diesel was enjoying it as much as me!


Sierra Nevada's to the East

That's my neighborhood straight ahead. Alfalfa fields...a dog's playground!
It's as if he's saying,"Are you coming?"
He even leaps canals in a single bound! Notice I never take his leash off. We are still working on the "come" command. The leash is a little more insurance that I'll get him back in a hurry if I need too!

7 comments:

Robynn's Ravings said...

Thank you for posting these, Reg!! We have been marvelling at their beauty and saying a post like this needs to be done. You did it!

Oh and congrats on your color victory and I think you'll know what I mean. ;)

Bz said...

Gorgeous pics! What a skyline. Thanks for sharing. Yes, the 'come' command. Can be so frustrating but, so necessary. I understand the leash phase (having trained dogs and horses)... just can't use it on my 2 y/o, so we're still working on that 'command' with her.
:-)

Teresa said...

We have been soaking in the view also! It's fabulous. What an amazing place to live on days like these. Of course it's never too far of a drive to escape when it's not so gorgeous in this valley. Mountains or beach, hmmm? Pretty nice options!

Linda said...

I've been thinking about doing a post just like this. I try to do all my errands where I have to drive east so I can look at those gorgeous mountains! We've been trying to soak it up as much as we can before that view disappears behind the haze and smog.

Joanna said...

So pretty! I love it.

Anonymous said...

Oh. Fresno.. sweet fresno! H

Julie Temple said...

Love that view! Gotta appreciate the few clear days before the rain comes again.


Me and my better half

J & J

Our Marine

Matt and Trin having fun w/ Joshie and Jenna

Kadence and Keaton

Girl power

Gabe and Josh w/ Grandpa

When they were young

About Me

My photo
Wife of 23 years to David, Mom to Josh - 19, Jenna - 17 and Nacoya - 16. Voice teacher, choir director and church choir member. I love the outdoors... ocean and mountains, my family, friends, pretty flowers, quiet mornings and more than all that, Jesus.