Wednesday, July 9, 2008

A Tale of Three Kings...



So I started this book a couple of days ago just reading the introduction. Then today while eating lunch all by myself (Jen is gone this week from 7:30am-10:00pm - I know some of you moms of young ones out there are thinking "Wow, that sounds wonderful!" Well I used to think so too when I was where you are, but somehow it's not as wonderful as it is when you are craving a little free time. But that's a whole other blog post, so back to my story) I began really reading it. I don't even remember how I happened upon being interested in this book. I think it was through Christian radio or maybe TBN, but I really felt the tug to read it. Do you see the subtitle? ...A Study in Brokenness

I'm one of those that doesn't like to suffer and I don't do it without some grumbling and complaining. Maybe that's why I'm reading it. Scripture teaches us to embrace our trials, because on the other side is a blessing - godly character, healing, financial blessing, ministry. All that sounds fine and good, but truth be known, most of us, and I'll be the first to stand up, don't embrace our trials. I would like to, really I would, because I know it's the right thing to do and because I know from the few times I have surrendered that blessing is on the other side. But my flesh doesn't want to go through it. Hmmm....that's strong, I know, but there it is. Maybe you are like me and need a lesson in brokenness. I think this book will be a good read....it already is.

Here is a quote from the book, pages 6-7: David has just been annointed by Samuel to be the future king of Israel "Quite a day for the life of that young man, wouldn't you say? Then do you find it strange that this most remarkable event led the young man, not to the throne, but to a decade of hellish agony and suffering? On that day, David was enrolled not into the lineage of royalty, but into the school of brokenness."

1 comment:

Joanna said...

Wow Gina that's awesome. I love this post - you are so raw and honest.
I am so blessed to have you and Tina reminding me to soak up these moments and days with my little ones. I know it goes by fast and sometimes I would like to trade lives with you for a day, but I am so thankful for Kadence and I pray that when Keaton gets here I can remember that the hard part is only a little season! You'll have to do a follow up on what you're learning from that book. It looks great.


Me and my better half

J & J

Our Marine

Matt and Trin having fun w/ Joshie and Jenna

Kadence and Keaton

Girl power

Gabe and Josh w/ Grandpa

When they were young

About Me

My photo
Wife of 23 years to David, Mom to Josh - 19, Jenna - 17 and Nacoya - 16. Voice teacher, choir director and church choir member. I love the outdoors... ocean and mountains, my family, friends, pretty flowers, quiet mornings and more than all that, Jesus.